A major cause of debilitating injury in those over 65 is from falling and breaking bones. Following the proper guidelines to minimize bone loss and practicing proper foot care will reduce the risk of falling and help keep you healthy and active as you get older.
These 6 tips will help avoid falls and prevent foot problems as you get older:
- Orthotic inserts and braces—The use of custom orthotic shoe inserts and balance braces will provide foot and ankle stability.
- Keep your bones healthy—Make sure you are getting enough essential minerals in your diet. Calcium is especially important for optimum bone health. Good sources are dairy products, kale, and cauliflower.
- Get plenty of sun—Vitamin D in the diet and through sunlight absorption are the best ways to increase this essential nutrient.
- Have a simple regular exercises routine—Keeping your feet and ankles strong and flexible using physical therapy will also help to prevent falls. Develop a regular routine with the help of your foot doctor.
- Install safety devices in the home—Railings, extra lighting, and removal of trip hazards like throw rugs will help avoid slip and fall accidents.
- Lower your alcohol intake—Alcohol causes dehydration and instability that cause you to fall.
For assistance in getting custom orthotic inserts and braces to help prevent falls, see your foot care professional. At Family Foot & Ankle Clinic, Dr. Stephen Markantone treats a wide variety of foot and ankle conditions including sports injuries, diabetic foot issues, pediatric foot conditions, toe and foot deformities, fungal infections, and heel problems. Equipped with the most advanced technologies and a dedicated staff, Family Foot & Ankle Clinic provides individualized and high-quality care for patients in the North Versailles and Delmont, PA areas. Contact our North Versailles office at 412-824-9370 or our Delmont office at 724-733-3338 to schedule an appointment.