Your feet and ankles are marvels of engineering that provide an amazing amount of support for the rest of your body. Many people take their feet for granted until they experience a debilitating illness or injury that interferes with normal ambulation, so it’s important to pay attention to your feet and bring any problems to the attention of your foot doctor to help avoid complications.
Here are 5 amazing facts about feet of which you are probably not aware:
- Your feet can carry you over 120,000 miles during your lifetime. That’s like walking around the entire globe five times! In fact, the average person travels about five miles each day on their feet.
- Your feet and ankles contain a huge number of bones, practically one fourth of the total bones in your body. Just one foot contains 26 bones and over a hundred muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
- According to Guinness, the largest feet ever measured belong to a man named Orlando Hernandez of Venezuela. His feet are a US size 26 and are nearly 16 inches in length!
- Your toenails grow faster in the warmer months.
- A variety of medical problems are often first diagnosed due to the effects on your feet. Peripheral nerve damage from diabetes can cause numbness and tingling in your feet as one of the first symptoms.
If you are experiencing any pain and discomfort in your feet and ankles, see your podiatrist for the proper diagnosis and treatment. At Family Foot & Ankle Clinic, Dr. Stephen Markantone treats a wide variety of foot and ankle conditions including sports injuries, diabetic foot issues, pediatric foot conditions, toe and foot deformities, fungal infections, and heel problems. Equipped with the most advanced technologies and a dedicated staff, Family Foot & Ankle Clinic provides individualized and high-quality care for patients in the North Versailles and Delmont, PA areas. Contact our North Versailles office at 412-824-9370 or our Delmont office at 724-733-3338 to schedule an appointment.